As hopeful college freshman are moving into dorms across the country, the bring with them the creature comforts of home, photos of loved ones, and fresh school supplies. However, the same story is playing out across these same college campuses: mold taking over college campuses. There are numerous stories of students taking leaves of absence due to health concerns from mold in their dorms and campus living environment ranging from multiple campuses across the Southeast.
One southern university said they recently had a mold problem that the Department of Housing and Residential Education said the problem, which cost ultimately $90,000 in repairs was due to the HVAC system. The HVAC system, they said, had a buildup of moisture and they needed to replace air filters and clean the ductwork as well.
These issues are unfortunately not uncommon in college environments. Students are reporting not only mold growth on dorm furniture, walls, and ceilings but physical symptoms such as headaches, nausea, coughs, respiratory infections, and trouble sleeping. These are common issues for those exposed to mold and unfortunately are common in college environments. According to Facilities Executive, here’s how mold can grow out of control on college campuses:
“A variety of factors can contribute to the growth of mold in institutional and commercial facilities, but one all-too-common culprit is HVAC equipment. The HVAC system, including piping and drain pans, can be sources of mold growth and a transportation mode for dispersing mold spores throughout a building.”
Regular mold exposure can cause runny nose, itching eyes and throats, skin irritation, and other symptoms. Considering the average American spends 90% of their time indoors, according the Environmental Protection Agency, indoor air quality is a vital component to student health. By contacting Green Air Environmental, we can provide documented data on how we can help.
Green Air Environmental has an all-natural steam cleaning process that helps protect and restore your equipment. Green Air never uses any harsh and toxic chemicals that can further irritate health issue and eventually break down expensive equipment. We also provide documented results of your cleaning.
At Green Air, we prefer to be able to help our clients before an emergency breakdown that disrupt student’s learning and even displace them.
This is why by using preventative maintenance for your college campus, you can create a healthier learning and living environment for students, staff, and faculty. You can also help prevent health issues in students and costly equipment replacement. For more information and to speak with a Green Air specialist, give us a call at: 1-800-789-3734